Daily Wellness Check Redesign
During the height of COVID, Northeastern University had an interactive experience called the Daily Wellness Check that students were asked to complete every day. The check was required to enter some buildings and acted as your ticket when going to get COVID tested, which was required every three days. The Daily Wellness Check was well known to be riddled with errors, so I set out to redesign it to create an all-round better experience.
To prepare for this project, my group interviewed three Northeastern University students who used the Daily Wellness Check about their experiences. The three points we heard repeated the most were 1) issues with button sizing and placement 2) too many clicks to complete the check and 3) poor organization of information. We rebranded these points as issues of Ease of Use, Efficiency, and Organization. From there, we took to our phones to find interactive experiences that better adressed our key points.
From the get-go, the issue I identified most closely with was efficiency. I wanted to minimize the number of clicks it took to get from start to compliant end screen. My logic was that if the experience was quick and easy, that would act as motivation for people to complete the check. To adress the point of efficiency, I added an “I’m Healthy” button at the begninning of the check. If the participant had no reason to suspect they might have COVID, I wanted to give them an immediate out from having to complete the test. To address the point of Ease of Use, I increased the size of buttons and made quiz buttons squares the size of a thumb. To address the point of Organization, I combined the questions about exposure and previous positive tests into one. I also rewrote all the text in the Daily Wellness Check to be more consice and relevant.
The First Paper Wireframe
The First Digital Wireframe
During testing, I discovered that my phrasing was confusing when I told the user how to interact with the quiz on the first page. It told people to scroll, when in fact I wanted them to click the downwards carrot. I changed my phrasing to say “move downwards” instead, which caused less issues. I also discovered that the lack of back button was an issue. I solved this by adding a home button to the top nav bar, enabling the safari back button in the bottom nav bar, and by adding carrots to the quiz pagination. My final big issue I discovered in testing was that my quiz button structure was awkward for the user to interact with. Before, I had three square buttons in a stair step pattern. I replaced that structure with three buttons that spanned the width of the screen and stacked on top of each other. My biggest challenges were how to incorporate a back button and how to format my quiz buttons. One of my biggest successes influenced by testing was turning my “I’m Healthy” question into a chip, as well as turning my Confirm screen into a pop up window.